- Connecting the Kootenays: The Kootenay Lake Ferries is now available from Maa PressMaa Press is delighted to announce that we are now distributing Connecting the Kootenays: The Kootenay Lake Ferries, Michael A. Cone’s authoritative history of a century of ferry service across Kootenay Lake.Connecting the Kootenays follows the service from its genesis in 1921, when it first linked the East and West Kootenays together as part of … Read more
- Mary’s Secret now available from Maa PressWe’re pleased to announce that we’ve added Mary’s Secret to our 2022 book distribution list. Mary’s Secret, West Kootenay author Claudette RdV Burton’s most recent young adult book, arose from her trip to Spain and Andorra in 2019 while she was researching her matriarchal lineage. Several surprising twists and humourous encounters with pre-Catholic art in … Read more
- A busy winter so farIt’s been a busy winter at Maa Press. In mid-January the Blood of Life Collective, in collaboration with the Slocan Valley Community Arts Council, launched Not Extinct – A Sinixt Virtual Exhibit, an interactive website based on the Maa Press book, Not Extinct: Keeping the Sinixt Way (1st edition), by Marilyn James and Taress Alexis.This … Read more
- A great year!Despite 2021’s many global challenges, Maa Press had a great year. We released two titles, a Sinixt təmxʷúlaʔxʷ map in June, and a second edition of Not Extinct: Keeping the Sinixt Way The latter invites readers to engage with the stories of Sinixt təmxʷulaʔxʷ through lively oral storytelling, original artwork, written discussion, and reflection. We … Read more
- Maa Press in CBEEN’s Outdoor Learning StoreWe’re pleased to announce that CBEEN, the regional network for environmental education in the Columbia Basin, is now stocking the second edition of Not Extinct: Keeping the Sinixt Way in their Outdoor Learning Store. CBEEN is a charity that encourages environmental stewardship and sustainability in the Canadian Columbia Basin by supporting environmental educators.
- Maa Press launches second edition of Not Extinct: Keeping the Sinixt WayOnly 5 more days until our virtual launch of the second edition of Not Extinct: Keeping the Sinixt Way by Marilyn James and Taress Alexis! Seen here is the updated cover from the book. We are so excited to share all the new stories and artwork with you all. Don’t forget to sign up to … Read more
- Maa Press goes live at the BuyBasin FestivalMaa Press Publisher K.L. Kivi went live from the Raven’s Nest in New Denver for the #BuyBasin Festival last week. Learn more about Maa Press and find out what we’ll be featuring next from regional authors, including the launch of the Second Edition of Not Extinct on November 19th. Thanks to Marsh Garrick for technical … Read more
- The Town of Nothing evaporates into NothingThis week, after years of languishing, the Town of Nothing (aka the Jumbo Glacier Mountain Resort Municipality) has finally been rendered into nothing by the B.C. government. The 2015 book, The Town of Nothing, was written by Jumbo Wild activist and author, K.L. Kivi and illustrated by Amber Santos. Disguised as a children’s book, it … Read more